Monday, September 26, 2011

Soda Crackers

Today I made whole wheat Soda Crackers...my sweet sister-in-law Debbi's recipe. I ended up with something a little more like pita chips than light soda crackers, but they're still pretty good. I think my mistake was that I let the mixer knead the dough too long - the dough was very elastic; when I would roll it out thin and then cut the crackers out, they shrunk back up thick like shrinky dinks. So live and learn - and now you can learn through my mistake. I'm sure these would be more light and fluffy with processed white flour, but since that is not our purpose here...

Combine: 4 c. whole wheat flour, 3 c. water, 2 T. yeast. Place in fridge overnight.

The next day, add: 2/3 c. oil, 3 T. salt, 1 t. soda dissolved in 2 T. warm water. Add 4 c. flour and knead (not too much!!).

On an oiled surface, knead VERY thinkly, cut, prick with fork. Bake at 350 until golden and crisp.

No comments:

Post a Comment